Floor insulation is key to keeping you comfortable in your Portland, OR home all year long. Insulating your floors goes a long way to ensure they stay warm when it is cold outside and cool during the warmer months.
HomeRx and Performance Insulation Energy Services knows just how important proper insulation is for your entire Oregon home. Our insulation experts can help you maximize your home’s energy efficiency while boosting your comfort level and reducing your energy bills.
When it comes to adding floor insulation to your home, the benefits are substantial. Let’s get started adding floor insulation to your new build or retrofit for your current home.
Why Is Underfloor Insulation Important?
Insulating your floors can significantly improve thermal performance. With properly insulated floors, you can reduce temperature variations and energy use. That means your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system does not have to work so hard, and you can enjoy lower energy costs each month. It can even increase your property value and is a major selling point if you list your home for sale.
Benefits of Adding Insulation to Your Floors
Here is a breakdown of the benefits you can enjoy when you insulate your floors:
• Improved Level of Comfort: If you are tired of drafts and losing heat through your floors when all you want is to feel warm and cozy inside your Portland, OR home, it is time to insulate your floors. Properly insulated floors will prevent warm air from escaping. The same goes for the summertime—floor insulation is an effective solution to keep your home cooler.
• Savings on Your Energy Expenses: Without floor insulation, heat escapes through your floors, which forces your heating system to work harder and produce more heat. Properly insulated floors prevent heat loss, which supports a more energy-efficient system and lowers your energy costs.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates you could save up to 15 percent on your heating and cooling expenses when you insulate your home. Get started with our experts so you can start saving!
• Reduced Noise: Floor insulation acts as a sound barrier, minimizing noise transmission between different levels of your property. This can be particularly beneficial if you have a multi-story home. Insulating your floors helps control noise so you can enjoy the peace and quiet on each floor of your home.
• Moisture Control: Insulation can help protect your floors from moisture and dampness, which can otherwise cause damage to floorboards and lead to mold growth. Not only will this protect your property and belongings, but it will also keep you and your loved ones safe and healthy.
Types of Floor Insulation
There are several different types of floor insulation options, most notably the following:
• Insulation Boards: Expanded polystyrene (EPS) insulation, also referred to as insulation boards, is one of the most popular types of floor insulation. It is high in strength and low in thermal conductivity. EPS is an excellent way to reduce heat loss and improve energy efficiency at home.
• Spray Foam Insulation: Spray foam insulation expands upon application, creating an airtight seal. It offers high thermal resistance and is ideal for sealing gaps and hard-to-reach areas.
• Fiberglass: Fiberglass is composed of tiny particles of glass. It is a widely used and preferred insulation for floors. Both cost-effective and efficient, fiberglass helps lower energy costs and reduce sound.
• Rigid Foam Insulation: Rigid foam boards provide high insulation value and moisture resistance. They are commonly used in crawl spaces and basement floors.
How to Choose Your Floor Insulation
Ready to insulate your floors but not sure where to start? Call our HomeRx and Performance Insulation Energy Services professionals. Our experts can assess your floors and home so we can recommend the best insulation and install it for you.
We will take the following into account when recommending the right floor insulation for you and your home:
• R-Value: The R-value indicates thermal resistance, with higher values offering better insulation. It is important to choose an appropriate R-value based on your desired level of energy efficiency while also keeping the climate here in Oregon in mind.
• Material: Each insulation type has its advantages and applications. When recommending an insulation material, we will first discuss your particular goals and factor in the cost of materials, installation requirements, and moisture resistance.
• Space: Our experts will evaluate the available space for insulation. In existing buildings, blown-in or spray foam insulation might be more practical due to limited access.
• Environmental Impact: If eco-friendliness is a priority, we may recommend insulation materials with higher sustainability and recyclability.
Call Our Floor Insulation Experts
Floor insulation can optimize your comfort level and improve the energy efficiency of your Portland, OR, property. When it’s time to install floor insulation, know our HomeRx and Performance Insulation Energy Services experts are here to help you every step of the way. Call us today to get started at 800-723-5588 or request service online.